Effects of the 2017 Tax Law on Captive Insurers
January 03, 2018
A new Captive Thought Leader Video featuring Bruce Wright, partner, Eversheds Sutherland (US), titled "How the 2017 Tax Law Affects Captive Insurers," has recently been added to the Captive.com library.
Following the passage of the Tax Cuts and Jobs Act ("2017 tax law") by the US Congress, Captive.com met with Mr. Wright to document his take on the primary impacts of the 2017 tax law to the captive insurance industry. According to Mr. Wright, there are a number of provisions in the law that may have an effect on captive insurers and companies with captives. Mr. Wright discusses (1) the increase in the discount factor applied to reserves and the decrease in the tax rate applied to corporations, (2) passive foreign investment companies, and (3) controlled foreign corporation rules.
This section of the site currently features 58 short educational videos by 12 captive insurance experts. Among the topics covered in the 1–3-minute videos are micro-captives, tax issues, captive feasibility, captive domicile selection, choosing an auditor, captive management, group captives, healthcare captives, risk pooling, common myths about captives, how to manage a captive efficiently, what makes a captive successful, and benefits in captives.
Along with Mr. Wright, the captive insurance experts featured in the videos include the following.
- John Alberici, chairman, Alberici Corporation
- Gary Bowers, tax partner, Johnson Lambert
- Jeremy Colombik, president, Management Services International
- Martin Eveleigh, chairman, Atlas Insurance Management
- Alan Fleming, chairman, Airmic
- Debbie Liebeskind, actuary, Human Resources, Towers Watson
- Michael Maglaras, principal, Michael Maglaras & Company
- Steven McElhiney, president and CEO, EWI Re, Inc.
- Michael O'Neill, president and CEO, American Contractors Insurance Group
- Hugh Rosenbaum, retired principal, Towers Watson
- Brady Young, president and CEO, Strategic Risk Solutions
Each of these captive insurance thought leaders has decades of broad experience with captive insurance companies, and they freely share their expertise in the videos. This constitutes a wealth of information on captive insurance fundamentals that will be especially valuable to newcomers to captive insurance. By watching one or two of these informative videos each day for a month, you will hone your knowledge of captive insurance fundamentals and trends.
January 03, 2018